Saturday, April 4, 2020

The Prophet of the Restoration: Experiences with Joseph Smith

Meeting the American Prophet

Andrew Jackson Stewart (1819-1911), a young man descended from Ulster Scot immigrants, lived much of his life up to that point on the frontiers of the United States. While living in the Iowa Territory, he writes about his experiences toward the end of the "Second Great Awakening," a period of religious revival in North America:

I heard much about the Prophet [Joseph Smith] in the years 1839-1840, about the time the saints were driven out of Missouri. I was brought up in the Presbyterian faith, but we were living in Fox River Township, Van Buren Co., Iowa, and as there was no Presbyterian church near us, we associated with the Methodists and went to their camp meetings, where I was generally called on to help sing as I was teaching both a Sunday and night schools, non-sectarian, there being no day school in our immediate neighborhood. On one occasion, while I was at a Methodist camp meeting, during intermission we were discussing the manner and form of baptism, when the Presiding Elder came up to the crowd, listened awhile, and then said: 
'Brother Stewart, we don’t want any of Old Joe Smith’s doctrines discussed here.' 
I answered: 
'I was quoting from the Bible,' and stepping up to the stand, opened a Bible with his name in it, which I saw lying on the stand, 'it is in your Bible what I have quoted.' 
'Well,' he said, 'that is Old Joe Smith’s doctrine.' 
I was anxious to know if that was really 'Mormonism.' Soon after this several families of Latter-day Saints from Missouri, moved into our neighborhood, and I began to question them about “Mormonism,” this was in 1840-41. [1]

In 1842, Andrew’s mother Sarah Scott Stewart joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints following the miraculous healing of her daughter-in-law, Polly Richardson, under the hands of the missionaries. Andrew continues:
Until 1844 I continued teaching night school, and the Bible in Sunday school. In 1843 I heard the first 'Mormon Elder' preach the same doctrine as we had been reading in the Bible. [2]
His granddaughter writes,
In 1843 during a sick spell Jackson had a dream relative to the restoration of the priesthood and the true gospel. [3]
At this time “he...received a very wonderful demonstration of the truth of the work.” [4]

Andrew continues in his writings:
About Feb. 10, 1844, two Elders, William Coray and William G. Rule, came to my house, asking to stay overnight. I said they could. During the evening they asked if they could get a house in the neighborhood to preach in. I offered to get a house and give notice of the meeting as I also had a testimony to bear. [I became acquainted with the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and] after several meetings my wife [Eunice Pease Quinby Stewart] and I presented ourselves for baptism and were baptized [into the Church by Elder William Coray in Fox River and confirmed by William Coray and William G. Rule]...fifteen others, including nine of my relatives were baptized, and a branch of the church organized, with my brother, [Benjamin Franklin] Stewart, presiding. [5]

Joseph and Emma Smith's "Mansion House" in Nauvoo, Illinois. [6]

Afterwards, the elders explained that they had been sent by the Prophet to baptize me and my family, and to stay until this mission was accomplished; and also ask me to return to Nauvoo with them, to see the Prophet. This I did on March 10, 1844. Brother William Coray introduced me to the Prophet, at his home. After spending five days in Nauvoo, mostly with the Prophet, Joseph Smith requested me to attend the April Conference and be ordained to join the Quorum of the Seventy, and take a mission. Among the things discussed by the Prophet and his council was 'the going to the mountains,' which made a great impression on me, that I could not forget, as I thot Nauvoo was the proper place. I returned home to Fox River Township, but could not forget the thought of the Church going away to the wilderness of the mountains, to get away from its enemies. [7]

'A site in Nauvoo (2003) representing the groves where the Saints would meet to hear from leaders.' Photo by Kenneth Mays, used with permission. [8]

My anxiety about being ordained to the priesthood April Conference and preaching the everlasting gospel, the salvation of the people, bore heavily on my mind. Finally, April 6 I went to Nauvoo, Illinois, and April 7, I went to the meeting at the grove east of the Temple plat. A great many people were present, meeting was in progress when I arrived, but I found a seat near the stand. Joseph the Prophet was preaching. When he sat down, he saw me and said:
'Here is Brother Stewart from Fox River, Iowa,' and he presented my name to the conference, and it was voted that I should be ordained and seventy and take a mission. He told President Joseph Young to ordain me, and me to join this quorum of seventy. John D. Lee, clerk gave me my blessing license The Prophet appointed me to go to New York with Brigham Young on a mission and stump the state of New York on Politics, for Joseph Smith to be President of the United States. The Prophet said there were others to take missions, but they would be taken up in their quorums.

Pamphlet from the Presidential Campaign of Joseph Smith, 1844 [9]

At this conference there were a great many others appointed on missions; they were to go home and get ready as soon as possible. [10]
I was ordained in the Thirteenth quorum of Seventy and appointed and sustained to take a mission. After returning home to Fox River, Van Buren county, Iowa, [I prepared] myself and affairs to take a mission. [11]

On the 20th of May I was ready to go with Brigham Young. But some of my friends, who came to see me off, in looking over my farm, persuaded me to stay until after I had harvested a field of new kind of wheat, which looked uncommonly fine. Well, I consented to stay, but when we went to cut the grain, there was not a kernel to be found in the entire field, it was all blasted.

I got ready the second time June 9, 1844, to go on my long-planned mission to New York. [I] arrived in Nauvoo, June 10, to find all excitement over the destroying of the Nauvoo Expositor. I went immediately to see the Prophet, reported as ready for my mission, and to learn how and where I was to join Brigham Young. The Prophet said he was glad I had come, but he wanted to change my mission, and take one with him to find a place for the saints, 'For,' he said, 'the Saints could not build up the Church in the States, but would have to go and find a place in the mountains, where they could build a place to live in peace [because] in five years they would be disturbed and be driven away again.' He said he had a company made up but he wanted me especially, as I had been west on the [Native] land to the Missouri River.
[12]
'I want you, Brother Stewart,' said the Prophet, 'to go with me to the Rocky Mountains to find a home for the Saints.' [13]
Andrew’s narrative continues:
I had a very fine horse, the Prophet wanted to buy and he offered two hundred dollars for it. I told him I would not sell the horse, but would make him a present of it. He then asked me if I had other horses to ride and pack and could I fit out myself for the trip proposed. I told him I could, and was glad to go west instead of east to New York.
During the time I stayed in the city, I called on the Prophet every day, and was introduced to some of the company who had agreed to go with him. I don’t know but one now living, of that company. He is Samuel Richards. I was so surprised that we would have to go into the mountains, or wilderness and leave behind that great city and the temple that was being built because of his anxiety to get the temple built, and give endowments before we left. [14]

A daguerreotype of the original Nauvoo Temple [15]

The plan the Prophet proposed was this – I was to go home to Fox River, fifty five miles west, on the road from Nauvoo to the mountains, take the horse I had given him, get ready, and he would cross over the Mississippi River with a few men, come to my place the first night, and the next night go on, for at that time it was only fifteen miles to the Indian boundary land, which was outside of the United States. He said he would start in about a week, and the company could come on later. This was on June 12, 1844. [16]

Joseph Smith's approximate planned route from Montrose, Iowa (across the river from Nauvoo) to Andrew Jackson Stewart's home in Fox River, Iowa enroute to "the mountains." [17]

The last time I saw the Prophet, Joseph Smith was June 12, 1844. I was with him every day from the 7th to the 12th.
I went home, taking the horse with me, and got ready for the trip to the mountains. [18]
Joseph crossed the Mississippi river several times with the purpose of going into the wilderness, as it was termed, while I was waiting with great anxiety for his arrival, as I had fresh horses to get him out in to the [Native] country away from his false and treacherous enemies, but each time he had to turn back. [19]

Late, in the evening of June 22, Joseph and Hyrum Smith, and Willard Richards left Nauvoo and crossed the Mississippi River to find a place for the Saints.

I heard that the Prophet had crossed the river for the mountains, and [I] expected him every night until I learned that he was martyred.
[20]


[O]n the 28th of June, I heard of his death, that he was murdered the day before – on the 27th – by a ruthless mob. [21]
I immediately started for Nauvoo, while on the west side of the river (near Montrose), I stopped with my old friends [William Jordan and Hancock’s], who said that Joseph, Hyrum Smith, and Willard Richards had got as far as their place, but their supposed friends who had followed them, had persuaded them to return.

When Joseph left, he said: 'I leave void of offense toward God and man. I have no lease of my life. I go as a lamb to the slaughter.' He said many other words in that strain.
[22]

Carthage Jail, the site where Joseph Smith was martyred while betrayed under the "protection" of Illinois state Governor Thomas Ford. [23]

Andrew writes of his arrival on June 29, 1844:
I went to Nauvoo, arriving at the close of Joseph and Hyrum Smith’s funerals. [24]
The death masks of Joseph and Hyrum Smith made by George Cannon on June 28, 1844 by Church History Library © By Intellectual Reserve, Inc. Courtesy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. [25]


After the Martyrdom

In 1850 Andrew and his family undertook the pioneer journey west, where they became founders of Payson, Utah. Through his work as a surveyor, Andrew laid out most of the settlements in Utah Valley, including Provo, Payson, Springville, Lehi, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Santaquin, and Alpine (previously called Mountainville). 

From 1856 to 1858, Andrew served as a missionary and later as mission president of the Australasian Mission, where he testified of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the Prophet Joseph Smith. Some excerpts from his mission journal kept at the Church History Library (MS 23664) state:

Sunday 8 [February 1857] (Camden)

I spoke one hour and a quarter on the coming forth of The Book of Mormon. My text was Truth. I spoke from the 29th [chapter] of Isaiah on the words of a book that was sealed and of Joseph Smith the Prophet, his sealing his testimony with his blood.

Friday 13 [February 1857]

I sung a hymn and read the 3rd chapter of Galatians and took the word truth for my text and spoke for two hours and a half on faith, repentance, and baptism for remission of sins, the laying on hands for the reception of the Holy Ghost and the authority to officiate as in the ordinances of the gospel, that the Church was again organized as in the days of the Apostles by Joseph Smith, and showed that he was a true Prophet of God.

Thursday 19 [February 1857]

Stayed all night with a Mr. William Wray, a native, a Catholic. We had a great deal of talk with him. Told him that Joseph Smith was a true Prophet.

Friday 20 [February 1857] (Emu Plains)

I preached an hour and a half to the Saints on prophecy of Joseph and the duties of the Saints and the Gathering and the situation of the Saints in Utah.

Sunday 2 [July 1857] (Lestra Branch)

I spoke on the 18th chapter of Isaiah “All ye inhabitants of the world see ye when he lifteth up an ensign.” I went on to show that the ensign was set up, that we was the ambassadors. The angels that John saw flying through the midst of heaven had delivered the Gospel to Joseph Smith. That I knew it not by man but by the gift and power of the Holy Ghost. Brother Potter bore testimony to what I said. There was great attention and every[one] believed.

Tuesday 4 [July 1857]

We stayed till after dinner teaching salvation. Sold them “The History of Joseph the Prophet.” Left them some tracts. They said they believed that Joseph was a Prophet.

Friday 7 [July 1857] (Emu Plains)

I went around in the neighborhood to give out our meeting. I spent the evening at Mr. George Wiley’s, a “Beardy.” He was much interested in talking about the Prophet Joseph.

Wednesday 12 [August 1857]

We came on, stopped at several houses, left some tract[s], and bore our testimony that Joseph was a Prophet.

Friday 21 [August 1857] (Oxbury)

I spent the evening in reading “The Divine Authority of the Book of Mormon,” and then I bore my testimony that Joseph was a Prophet, and of the work of the Lord.

Wednesday 2 September 1857

Stopped at several houses, at one Mr. James Hartly, a Presbyterian’s. After an hour conversation and bearing our testimony he bought “Joseph the Prophet”.


Returning to Benjamin, Utah, he resumed his activities as a thoroughbred horse breeder, merchant, and entrepreneur.


Andrew Jackson Stewart, Sr. in later years

Andrew's grandson Harold Haynes (1892-1993) came to live with him from 1904-1905. He relates, "[M]y grandfather was an extraordinary man,” and he states:

[H]e was a very fine looking old man and maybe I might as well tell you here that he exerted more influence on me than any other person, certainly any man... because he was dignified [and] intelligent. [E]ven though he only had a few months of schooling on the frontier he was really a well-educated young man... I never heard him use a idle word or engage in any useless activity. He always treated me from the time I can first remember with consideration...

I did the chores and milked the cows, I fed the cattle, I went to school, I helped the old man with the garden and it was at this time that I developed the greatest respect and regard for him. We would discuss many things....we used to discuss religion. He was a religious man and even in those days, I was what you might call a skeptic…Well, he would gravely answer me...and we would discuss all things.
[26]

Andrew affirmed the truthfulness of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ and of the mission of the Prophet Joseph Smith, recalling his own experiences with the Prophet 60 years earlier and the spiritual manifestations he had received.

Andrew Jackson Stewart, Sr. passed away on December 7, 1911 at the age of 92. His obituary describes him as a "well known pioneer and friend of the Prophet Joseph Smith."

Regarding the impression that the Prophet Joseph Smith left upon Andrew Jackson Stewart, Sr., Andrew's granddaughter Roselle Judkins (1912-2015) wrote:
Joseph Smith was idolized by our grandfather, Andrew Jackson Stewart, [who] was much younger. He was born in 1819, Joseph Smith was born in 1805, so he was fourteen years younger, but by 1845 or 1844, he was then twenty-three or twenty-four years of age and he lived on this farm out in Iowa, fifty miles west of Nauvoo. Well, when he joined the Church he couldn’t keep himself away from the Prophet Joseph. He just loved Joseph Smith, as people who knew him did. They just hung around him, he had a dynamic personality. [27]
______________________________

[1] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[2] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[3] Biography by Granddaughter Ida Christmas Stewart Peay.
[4] "Nonogenerian Passes Away," December 1911.
[5] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_Mansion_House#/media/File:Joseph_Smith_Mansion_House.JPG
[7] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[8] https://www.deseret.com/2019/1/16/20663467/picturing-history-the-groves-in-nauvoo-illinois#the-site-once-known-as-the-east-grove-in-nauvoo-2018
[9] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Joseph_Smith_presidential_election_pamphlet,_1844.jpg
[10] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.

[11] "Pioneer Experience." Deseret News, May 1897.
[12] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[13] "Pioneer Experience." Deseret News, May 1897.
[14] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[15] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauvoo_Temple#/media/File:Nauvoo_Temple_daguerreotype.jpg
[16] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[17] https://planner.myrouteonline.com/route-planner/18622/#
[18] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[19] "Pioneer Experience." Deseret News, May 1897.
[20] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[21] "Pioneer Experience." Deseret News, May 1897.
[22] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[23] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carthage_Jail#/media/File:Carthage_Jail_from_southwest.jpg
[24] Stewart, Andrew J. "Scraps From An Old Timer’s Journal," April 5, 1908. MS F 563 No. 151908, Church History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.

[25] https://history.churchofjesuschrist.org/content/museum/museum-treasures-joseph-and-hyrum-death-masks?lang=eng
[26] Harold Haynes Interview.
[27] Excerpts from the Memoirs of Granddaughter Roselle Judkins (1912-2015).

1 comment: