Sunday, March 1, 2020

How I Learned from DNA Testing that I'm Descended from a Medieval Scottish Patriot



The arms of Sir John Stewart as shown in "The Collins Roll" of 1296 [1]

While growing up, I was told that I’m descended from a Scottish baron named Walter FitzAlan (ca. 1110-1177), the first High Steward of Scotland, as most with the surname Stewart are. But the succeeding generations were unknown due to the many descendants on various lines.

The farthest back we can go in an unbroken chain on my patrilineal line is 300 years – back to my 6th-great grandfather, Alexander Stewart (ca. 1675 – 1742) of Ballymena, Northern Ireland, a tenant farmer who immigrated to the American colonies, and from whom I inherited my surname - and my middle name.

This leaves a gap of over 550 years between the birth of the first High Steward of Scotland, and my earliest ancestor I can trace. To complicate matters, there are many branches of the Stewart family: the Stewarts of Appin, the Stuarts of Bute, the Stewarts of Atholl, the Royal Stuarts, and many other lines.

A desire to understand my patrilineal origins has always been a matter of great interest to me.

Several years ago I read about a DNA study:

In January of 2014, It was announced that a DNA study of the sons of Alexander, 4th High Steward of Scotland, Sir John Stewart of Bonkyll and James Stewart 5th High Steward of Scotland, had resulted in a new finding for those lines. These findings stated that Sir John Stewart of Bonkyll’s descendants tested positive for SNP S781 (S781+) and the descendants of his older brother James Stewart, 5th High Steward of Scotland do not test positive for this SNP S781 (S781-). The findings also advised that this SNP was not found in Sir John Stewart of Bonkyll’s father Alexander, 4th High Steward of Scotland, thus making this a mutation unique to Sir John Stewart of Bonkyll and his descendants. Because of this, the descendants of both lines can be clearly identified. [2]
Single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) S781 is a genetic marker on the Y chromosome, which is passed from father to son. Over time, mutations (genetic markers) occur on the Y chromosome, which continue through succeeding generations through the male line.

Sometime after learning about this study, I went to FamilyTree DNA to order a Y-DNA test, along with a test for the presence or absence of SNP S781. I tested positive for SNP S781 – indicating that I am a direct patrilineal descendant of Sir John Stewart of Bonkyl (d. July 22, 1298). From him I inherited my surname and my Y chromosome – the determining factor in a male.

Sir John Stewart was the brother of the 5th High Steward of Scotland, and he was a major figure in the First War of Scottish Independence against the aggressions of King Edward “Longshanks” I of England, “the Hammer of the Scots.” He was ultimately killed at the Battle of Falkirk on July 22, 1298, when the Scottish army led by himself, William Wallace, and John Comyn, was overwhelmed by the invading English army.

This finding also filled in 5 generations prior to Sir John, including his great - great grandfather, Walter Fitz Alan, and confirmed that I'm a patrilineal descendant of the first 4 High Stewards of Scotland.

However, there are several branches of Sir John's descendants, including the Stewarts of Appin, the Royal Stuarts, and others, so I still wasn't sure which line I come from.

On FamilyTree DNA I found a group called “STEWART (S781+)” and joined it since I tested positive for that genetic marker. The "About" page states:
SIR JOHN STEWART'S PATRILINEAL DESCENDANTS PROJECT. 
This project concerns researches on Y-Chromosome, and especially Y-SNP S781 downstream mutations.
Disclaimer : The condition for joining this project is to be tested positive for Y-SNP S781.

I took another test – this time more costly, the Big Y DNA test through FamilyTree. Without going into the specific genetic markers, this subsequent testing for other SNPs, as well as for short tandem repeats (STRs) revealed more about my family line. A couple of my distant cousins have done excellent research on the correlations between genetic markers and different branches of the family and continue to make exciting discoveries.

For years I thought I most likely belonged to the Stewart of Appin clan. But in February of 2019, I learned from genetic markers that I am not a Stewart of Appin, since I had tested positive for another genetic marker that is absent in the Stewart of Appin descendants. As recent as April 2019, research on additional genetic markers strongly suggests that I’m descended from the Stewarts of Darnley through the following line of descent:

  • Sir John Stewart of Bonkyl (d. 1298)
    • Sir Alan Stewart of Dreghorn (1272-1333)
      • Alexander Stewart of Galston and Darnley (1320-1374)
        • Alexander Stewart of Darnley (1342-1404)

This has reduced the gap in my unknown ancestry from 550 years to 300 years, and for the first time in my life, I know which branch of the clan I come from.

Historical figures descended from Sir John Stewart who also inherited the SNP S781 genetic marker on their Y chromosome (and who came from the Stewart of Darnley line) include:
  • Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, the first husband of Mary, Queen of Scots, and their son,
  • King James I, the first monarch under whom the kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland were united, who also commissioned the translation of the Authorized King James Version of the Bible into English, and his 3rd great-grandson,
  • Charles Edward Stuart, “Bonnie Prince Charlie,” who led the failed Jacobite rising of 1745 as a claimant to the throne.

My next step is to take the Y Elite Ancestry Test through the Full Genome Corp Company to help identify new genetic markers on my Y chromosome that can be used in future research. My hope is that subsequent research will be able to fill in more generations to reduce, and eventually bridge that gap so that future generations of my family can understand and appreciate more about where they come from.



[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20160629082243/http://www.briantimms.fr/Rolls/collins/collins09.html No. 401

is was previously proposed by Bruce A. McAndrew in his "The Sigillography of the Ragman Roll," 1999.

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing discovery. You have done a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete